Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Visit With Susan Tierney-Cockburn and Susan's Garden Rose


As I'm sure you all know, I learned all my flower creating techniques from Susan Tierney-Cockburn.  I loved using her Punch Bunch punches and learning flower shaping techniques from her "Paper Bouquet" book,  and now love using her new Susan's Garden flower dies, which are much easier to use than the punches.  Susan and I live across the mountains from each other, in the same state.   My friend Pat and I had the priviledge of going over to see Susan.

Susan took some time out of her very busy schedule to show us some of her flower creating techniques. It was so fun to sit with her to learn new techniques. Among other things, she taught me a lot about coloring and shaping leaves, which I will show you in future blog posts.  All of Susan's "Susan's Garden flower dies have all the pieces to create each flower, which helps you create beautiful flowers without trying to figure out what dies are needed for a certain type of flower. In addition to the directions that come in each flower packet, she has developed videos to help you visually see how to create them.  Susan wants to make it very easy for you to create these flowers and has other products to help you achieve great shaping, coloring and texture.  At the moment, the Sizzix Flower Tool kit, inspired by Susan,  is available, and very soon the Pan Pastels and the product for creating realistic pollen for your flowers will be available.  I had a chance to try the new Pan Pastels and see the pollen powders and I know you will want these products.  The Pan Pastels are very different from other chalks we have used.  They are kind of creamy and Susan told me they will last for a very, very long time.  I was very impressed with them.  The powders for the pollen are so realistic and work much better than the Flower Soft I used in my Lily Tutorial.   

 Susan is a very multi-talented lady.  She baked some very incredible snack cakes for us called "Cliffords!  (Red-Velvet Snack Cakes).  In addition to all the other crafty things Susan does, she is a master baker.  If you would like to check out the recipe for these delicious snack cakes and all her other recipes, you can check out this link.  Thank you Susan for taking time out of your busy schedule for us.

Well I couldn't do this post without showing you another gorgeous flower  I made with the Susan's Garden dies.  Don't these dies create the most realistic rose you have ever seen!  I can almost smell this rose!   I started out by die cutting the rose with vanilla card stock.  The center of each petal was sponged with Spun Sugar Distress Ink then the edges of the petals sponged with Tea Dye Distress Ink.  I love the color it turned out.  The rose was assembled the same as the one I created in my Rose Tutorial at this link.

The other products used to create this card include the Marianne Design (DS0907) embossing folder; Impression Obsession Leaves; Memory Box "Fresh Foliage",  Memory Box "Chloe Stem". Along the bottom of the card I used the Memory Box "Tessatina Border".   All the dies needed to complete the rose and the rose leaves are in the Sizzix, Susan's Garden Rose" die set.  I used the Sizzix Flower Tool Kit to shape the petals and leaves. 


Products used:

Sizzix, Susan's Garden Rose die set, (658411)
Sizzix,  Susan's Garden Flower Tool Kit (568437)
Marianne Design embossing folder (DS0907)
Impression Obsession "leavy Branch" (DIE055-N)
Memory Box "Fresh Foliage" (98502)
Memory Box "Chloe Stem" (98321)
Memory Box "Tessatina Border" (98302)
Distress Inks, Spun Sugar and Tea Dye

955986

25 comments:

Jenée said...

The rose is beautiful. I must get some of that spun sugar ink (yum). How lucky of you to be able to spend time with Susan Cockburn. I'm on a quest right now to master the 8 flowers for which I've purchased the dies (then who knows??).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Antoinette Voorn said...

Woowww thats a really gorgeous flower!!! awesome technique...it looks real!!


Greetz Antoinette
http://antoinettecreacards.blogspot.nl

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jan Castle said...

Stunning rose Selma!!!! Can't wait for your tutorials...so inspiring!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Ульяна и Полина said...

Роза великолепна!!!

Mihaela said...

So beautiful rose you made, Selma!!!

Susan said...

Dearest Selma, It was such a treat to have you and Pat come by and share my passion for creating flowers. Your work is exquisite--especially your roses.
You inspire me and I hope you love the next set of flowers that will be out in October. Thank you, XOXO

Glenda said...

You lucky girl you! How wonderful that you got to visit with Susan and such a gorgeous flower you made!

Anonymous said...

Hi Selma

I just had to tell you what amazing cards you make

I live in Western Australia and I really am in awe of the cards you create

Please keep them coming they are a source of joy

Regards
Marie Hopkins

craftieodmae said...

Oh my, Selma, that Rose looks so real...........absolutely beautiful!!!!

Darlene said...

WOW! How exciting to spend some one-on-one time with this VERY talented lady! So glad you got the opportunity but I'm not sure how you could improve on your rose making since they have always been so realistic from the time you starting sharing your style of flower making with all of us! But I agree ... I can almost smell the sweetness of this gorgeous rose and I too LOVE the color ... beautiful as always my friend! HUGS from OHIO!

Marjorie said...

Absolutely beautiful rose!!! How wonderful to get to have a 'special' time with Susan. I love her products. In her post she said that she is coming out with new flowers in Oct. How exciting!!!

Marjorie from TX

Anonymous said...

Hi Selma,

This rose is so fantastic! I absolutely love it and thanks so much for writing the tutorial. I have yet to purchase some of Susan's dies but I keep looking for them in the UK. You must have had such a wonderful time meeting and talking with Susan. I am totally envious of course.
Thanks again for all your amazing posts and keep giving us a glimpse of your work.
All the best - Carol

Joan Oquist said...

I'm a fellow Washingtonian, really enjoying your blog (which I just discovered). The rose card is lovely!

Colorado Crafter said...

What a treat to meet Susan in person! I have her book and many of the Punch Bunch punches and also the McGill punches as well as many flower dies, but so far I've been afraid to jump in and actually try my hand at making the paper flowers. I've only been subscribing to your blog for a short time and I love looking through your posts to see all the lovely flowers you make. I can't wait until I'm able to get some of these new Susan's Garden dies. All the flowers I've seen made with them are just beautiful. Thank you so much for the tutorials you include in your posts. Maybe if I read your blog long enough I'll get the courage to try some flowers of my own.

Payne Holler Cards said...

Oh my! That is soooooooo gorgeous! What a treat to get time with Susan (-:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Selma you WOW me everyday. You are so amazing. This rosé is so realistic. How wonderful you were able to meet Susan. You have inspired me to buy her dies and try this. Thanks for all your wonderful tutorials. I'm sure I couldn't create these flowers without your detailed help.
Lots of hugs,
Deanna

CraftinGranny said...

Oh my Selma, your creation of these lovely flowers continue to blow me away. Totally gorgeous! "Hugs" Carol

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, as I told you this flower looks like you just picked it out of your garden.
Just the little tips that Susan showed you, really enhances your already beautiful flowers.
I can't wait for you too teach them to me.
I am so glad you got to meet Susan. I hope I get that opportunity some day.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cash Wall Browning-Smith said...

Two amazing artists in one room - that had to be AWESOME! Your work is amazing! KEEP IT UP! It gives us novices hope.

Annie said...

Wow Selma x these flowers are just fantastic !! They look so real I can almost smell their perfume. Looks like you had fun with Susan too. Many thanks for the kind wishes you sent over the last few weeks. It was so kind and they are truly appreciated.

Best wishes

Annie x

Blogger said...

I would advise that you trade with the best Forex broker: AvaTrade.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails