Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thanks


My DIL has a birthday coming up and she asked  me to make a box of thank you cards for her gift.  This is going to be the first for this set.

Can you guess what I used for making these flowers?  I had a couple of brown paper bags after doing some shopping, and wondered if I could use them to make flowers.  I cut the bags in strips and used the Tim Holtz "Tattered Flowers" die to cut the flowers out.  I used the two smallest flowers from the die for this card.  The flowers were placed on the Teflon sheet and were sponged around the edges with burgundy ink, then sprayed with enough water to get them really wet. I kind of pressed them down into the ink that ran onto the Teflon sheet blending the water and color onto the flower. (Warning - you can get your fingers pretty messy, so use tweezers as much as you can.)  I then "wadded" each flower up in a little ball then pulled them apart slightly and dried them with the heat gun. They were then shaped in the middle with the flower tool I always use.  Black stamens were punched and added to the center of each flower. I am really pleased with the way these flowers turned out. 

The design paper used is from the Graphic 45 "LeRomantique" paper pad for the background.  Two pieces of lace were added  to help frame the piece across the middle.  A Tim Holtz "Elegant Flourish" was added then the flowers were attached.  The pretty frame and sentiment are from the JustRite "You Inspire Me" stamp set.    It was stamped on ivory card stock then sponged with Distress Ink.  To complete the card, black feathers and burgundy pearls were added. 

This is one of those times that the real card looks much prettier than it does in a photo. 

The products I used can be purchased from Joan's Gardens

13 comments:

Patty Sue 2 said...

Love the flowers and what a great way to recycle. Your DIL will love them.

craftieodmae said...

Selma, it's gorgeous!!! She is gonna love em!

redwasher1 said...

I love this beauty!!

Colleen said...

Selma,
Looks better in person are you kidding it looks smashing here in person I would drool even more. Your DIL is going to love these cards.

Lana said...

Wow Selma I love this card!! Beautiful in every way.
Hugs

Debby said...

Selma, your DIL will love this...great idea to use the bag....I may have to dig throw my gift bags too to see if they have designs I would like, Great card, and thanks for getting my creative juices flowing!

CraftinGranny said...

Very elegant and regal Selma. Beautifully created. "Hugs" Carol

Betty Benton said...

Well, you should be proud of these flowers! Who wudda thunk they used to be brown paper bags!!!

Karen W said...

Wow what a fantastic gift and this is gorgeous!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Go GREEN! Way to recycle! Beautiful card GF! Did you get snow yesterday? We did )0;

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you Selma--I wait for your post everyday that I go on the site--you are without a doubt one of my favorite designers--every time what you do is perfect for me--Thank You for sharing your work--I made the BEST tag ever after one of your samples-thank you--Carol

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

You came up with a reall fun idea for making flowers. You are truly an artist. The card is so pretty.

Payne Holler Cards said...

amazing - she is going to flip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails